Chat with us, powered by LiveChat
Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Problems

Step 2

Frequently asked questions

How do I apply?

It's easy! All you need to do is complete our online application by going to and clicking the yellow "Apply Today" button or you can go to

During the application process, you will be asked to submit your resume, provide proof that you have a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution and a 2.95 g.p.a. or higher (Note: Options are available for GPAs lower than 3.00 but AT LEAST 2.70. Schedule a call with an admissions advisor for details). Once you are admitted, you will be required to pay the one-time enrollment fee of $275 and select a payment plan and you will then be able to begin your coursework!

To schedule a call with admissions go to:

Can I meet the teaching time requirements if I teach online?

It is certainly permissible for a non-certified individual enrolled in an alternative route program to be placed in an online school. Your observations would have to be more portfolio based: samples of units and lessons designed and delivered by you the teacher, and of student work and feedback provided by the teacher to show impact on student learning. You will be required to supplement online teaching with some face-to-face teaching in that field in a partner school.

My degree is not in education, can I still apply to your program?

You are not limited by your degree! You can teach in any area as long as you pass the Praxis® Subject Assessments required for that area. So, if you want to teach elementary, you simply take and pass the elementary test. If you want to teach science, you simply take that test and pass. It's that simple! You can also meet the requirment if you have 24 credit hours (all grades of C or better) in the subject that you would like to teach. If elementary, you can also meet by having 2-3 courses in each of the following course in english, social studies, mathematics and science with a grade of C or better.

What if I want to get certified in ESL or World Language?

For ESL endorsements, candidates must:

  1. Pass the PRAXIS in ESL

For World Language endorsements, candidates must:

  1. Pass the PRAXIS for the language they are seeking and

  2. Earn an Advanced Low or better on the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) for French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish or

  3. Earn an Intermediate High or better on the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) for Arabic, Chinese, and Japanese

  4. All World Langauge certifications are K-12

What if I want to teach American Sign Language?

The ASL Certification is available for Residency Licenses even without taking the PRAXIS. In lieu of the PRAXIS, candidates must demonstrate ASL proficiency to earn the ASL Certification. To be deemed proficient, candidates must achieve a Level 4 (Advanced/Advanced+) on the SLIP (Sign Language Proficiency Interview).

The SLPI is offered by The National Technical Institute for the Deaf. Information on the SLPI may be found online (

What if I want to teach Special Education or Early Childhood Education?

While we do not certify in early childhood, we DO certify in special education.

We are able to certify in the following areas:

• Specific Learning Disabled (K-12)
• Academically or Intellectually Gifted (K-12)
• Special Education: General Curriculum (K-12)
• Cross Categorical (mildly/moderately disabled) (K-12)
• Reading Specialist (BR)
• Behaviorally/Emotionally Disabled (K-12)

What if I want to teach theater?

According to NCDPI, “while there is no specific test for theatre, you can still obtain a theatre license if you have 24 credit hours in the subject area."

What if I am a Canadian Applicant?

There are no special provisions for Canadian applicants in North Carolina. They must follow the directions for Out-of-Country Applicants outlined later in these FAQs.

Can you help me with visa issues?

We do not have any guidance documents on work visas. However, we recommend contacting the U.S. Department of State ( for guidance on employment regulations.

Can I receive credit for prior coursework?

Yes! We offer credit for your prior college of education coursework! If you have taken courses in a college of education, you can request that we conduct a course waiver analysis. We will grant you credit for courses that match our course content. Please note that we will only grant credit for courses that were taken at a regionally accredited College of Education.

Do I need a teachable major?

Unlike most colleges of education that require a "teachable major," with alternative certification your degree can be in any area! Passing the PRAXIS test or providing proof of 24 hours of coursework in the subject area is proof of your content knowledge in the testing area. Once you pass the test, our job is to train you in the pedagogy or “The Art of Teaching”.

Do I need to pass the PRAXIS Subject Area Exam prior to admission?

You are not required to pass the PRAXIS prior to admission. You can be admitted and enrolled in our courses while you prepare for the PRAXIS. However, you are required to pass it prior to receiving your Residency Certification.

NOTE for 2020-2021: An applicant for a Residency License and/or admission to a SBE-approved Residency program, who does not meet either the 24-hour relevant content requirement or the licensure examination requirement, may be approved for a Residency License and admission to a SBE-approved Residency program for the 2020-2021 academic year. The applicant must meet either the 24-hour relevant content or the licensure examination requirement in order to renew the Residency License for the 2021-2022 academic year.

If I pass the PRAXIS, why do I need to take the courses?

It is required by state law. Knowing the content and being able to teach the content are two different things. The coursework is designed to teach you "how to teach."

What if my degree is from out of the country?

The first step is to have a course-by-course evaluation from International Education Evaluations, LLC ( The evaluation report produced by these evaluation services determine whether the out-of- country degree is equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited North American university. The evaluation along with official international transcripts, degrees, teaching certificates, etc. will need to be included in your licensure packet to the NCDPI.

Are your courses content specific?

The way alternative certification works is that you show evidence of your content knowledge by passing the PRAXIS. As an alternative certification provider, our job is to train you how to teach the content effectively. As such, our courses focus on the "Art of Teaching" not specific content.

Do you offer financial aid?

#TEACH is not a college and therefore cannot offer federal student aid. However, we do have two financing options and several payment plans. We also offer a payment in full discount. To learn more about our payment options go to

Can I obtain certification in more than one area?

The short answer is yes! You can get certified in as many areas as you desire. However, you have to complete all desired PRAXIS tests at the beginning of the program prior to applying for your certification or demonstrate proof of content area proficiency in the other area(s) by possessing 24 credit hours in the area. The rule here is to plan effectively! Once your initial residency license is processed, you will not be allowed to add more endorsements.

Also, when you get certified in two or more areas, as long as you teach for 3 years successfully any of the licensed areas, you will be able to convert to the continuing professional license (CPL).

I took my PRAXIS several years ago, can I just send you those scores?

PRAXIS scores are good for five years. If the scores are older than five years old at the time of your application, you will have to retake the test(s).

I took the PRAXIS Core some years ago, is this what you mean by PRAXIS?

No, the PRAXIS Core is not required for individuals that hold a Bachelor's degree which is a requirement for our program. You must pass a PRAXIS Subject Assessment test in order to qualify for a Residency License with #TEACH.

How much does it cost?

If this will be your first time obtaining a teaching license (Initial License), the base cost of the program is $6,200 which includes an enrollment fee is $275 and a program fee is $5,925. However, for a limited time we are offering our Grand Opening Special Program Fee. If you select our 15-Month plan, your cost will be $5,235 paid in 15 installments of $349! That is $690 off the regular price! What's more, if you pay in full, the price is $4,999 ... a $926 discount! Also, if you have taken courses in a college of education, you may qualify for some courses to be waived which will also reduce your overall program cost. Fees can be paid using our 15-month no-interest payment option, paid in full, or paid in full using one of our two financing options. Please go to for more information.

When can I apply to your program?

Our admissions process is on a rolling basis, so you can apply at any time.

How many credits is your program?

Our program is hours based. Our Elementary and Secondary Programs are 383 hours. This is the equivalent of 15.32 credit hours. Our P-12 certification program is 433 hours which is the equivalent of 17.32 credit hours. On our course list you will see the number of hours required for each course. Please be reminded that these are actual hours and not credit hours. For example, if you see 10 hours next to a course, it means that if you sit down for 10 straight hours, you should be able to complete the course and all required assignments.

Do you assist with job placement?

On our website, employers are able to post jobs free of charge! Please go to to search available job postings.

Do you offer assistance with PRAXIS Test Preparation?

On our website under the "Testing & Certification" tab, you can access links to study guides, practice tests, and other prep material. We also have a relationship with ExamEdge to offer full length practice tests in most areas! Go to for more information.

How do I register to take the PRAXIS?

On our website just click the red "PRAXIS/Test Prep" button in the header. You will be able to
register for the test, pay the test fee, and much more! Go to for more information.